It is my great pleasure to interview an old friend and creator of “Thorgil Bloodaxe.”
1. What genre are your books?
A. I write in the genre/sub-genre of fantasy, which is known to many as Sword and Sorcery.
2. What draws you to this genre?
A. Growing up in the 60s and 70s, I have been drawn to fantasy adventure. I enjoyed reading about that adventures of Sinbad and then of Conan of Cimmeria.
3. What project are you working on at the moment?
A. At this time, I am working on my 3rd book of Thorgil Bloodaxe. It is in the rough, work-in-progress stage.
4. What’s it about?
A. In the 3rd book, Thorgil and his mercenary band are commissioned to aid the Caliph of Baghdad with a rebel and his followers in the Khurasan mountains. It seems this rebel who started out as a poor coppersmith, has risen to the status of a warlord. He wishes to remove the Abbasid Caliphate from the seat of rule.
5. Give us an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is special?
A. My main character is Thorgil Bloodaxe, a Norse warrior (Danish on his father’s side, Norwegian on his mother’s side) who is the leader of a mercenary band; the Brotherhood of the Bloodaxe.
Thorgil is a man-giant, who stands at a towering height of 6ft 7inches and tips the scale at a whopping 448 pounds. He is like a cave bear when angered. If you cross him, you can expect a fight on your hands that will not turn well for you.
6. Have you written anything else?
A. Yes I have. I have been blessed to have 2 books self-published through Friesen Press.
“Thorgil Bloodaxe: Enter the White Queen” was published in September, 2011
“Thorgil Bloodaxe: Shadow of Death” was just published in September, 2014
7. What are your ambitions for your writing career?
A. I would like to see Thorgil have a cult following.
8. Which writers inspire you?
A. The two writers that I have always loved is first; Robert E. Howard, the creator of Conan, Kull, Cormac mac Art, and Bran mak Morn.
The second; Edgar Rice Burroughs with his Mars, Venus and Moon series, he had such an imagination for a man of his time.
9. When did you decide to become a writer? Why do you write?
A. I have always loved to write. I created the character of Thorgil back in the mid-1990s, but did not get serious with the character and writings until 2006-2007.
10. Do you have a special time or place to write?
A. My special place for writing is in my studio, surrounded by artwork of Thorgil and statues of Vikings and Norse gods.
11. Where do you get your inspiration?
A. My inspirations comes from the voices in my head.
12. Do you work on an outline or do you prefer to see where the idea takes you?
A. No outline, I just start writing and let the story flow.
13. Do you ever get writer’s block? How do you overcome it?
A. I can honestly say, I have not been plaque by writer’s block, but if I did have writer’s block, I would just start doing research and taking notes to be prepared for the writing.
14. What is the hardest thing for you about writing?
A. I would have to say is the ending of a storyline.
15. How do you market your books? Why did you choose this route?
A. I market using social media, my fan base and word of mouth. I am not an outgoing person, so social media works very well for me.
16. How much research do you do?
A. I am always researching, it is a constant.
17. Do you write on a typewriter, computer, dictate or longhand?
18. What are some of your favorite books/authors?
A. “The Wizard of Venus and Pirate Blood” by Edgar Rice Burroughs “Death Dealer; Lords of Destruction” by James Silke “Kull; Exile of Atlantis” by Robert E. Howard.
19. Are you currently reading any books?
A. No, my plate is full at this time, and there are not enough hours in a day.
20. How can readers discover more about you and your work?
A. You can follow me on Facebook and also click LIKE on my Thorgil Bloodaxe Fan Page.
To learn more about Thorgil Bloodaxe and myself (Ralph E. Laitres), you can google “Thorgil Bloodaxe” and google my name “Ralph E. Laitres”
My books; “Thorgil Bloodaxe: Enter the White Queen”, and “Thorgil Bloodaxe: Shadow of Death” is available in the online bookstores;
FriesenPress, Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Books-A-Million, Ingram Wholesale
Format; Hardcover, Softcover, eBook
Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/Thorgil.Bloodaxe
Amazon Author Page:
“Thorgil Bloodaxe: Enter the White Queen” – http://www.amazon.com/Thorgil-Bloodaxe-Enter-White-Queen/dp/177067523X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=
“Thorgil Bloodaxe: Shadow of Death” http://www.amazon.com/Thorgil-Bloodaxe-Shadow-Death-Laitres/dp/1460249992/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=