Please welcome Author Adele Marie Park!
- What genre are your books?
I cross genres, writing mainly fantasy, urban fantasy and also love to write horror.
- What draws you to this genre?
I love creating worlds and characters then pitting them against dangers which are not encountered within our everyday realms.
- What project are you working on at the moment?
I work on several projects at once but currently I am writing the second book of the Edra chronicles. I am also editing the second book of the Suleskerry series.
It is a fantasy tale set in the fictional world of Edra centralising around the themes of love, betrayal and ancient evil.
- Give us an insight into your main character.
My main character has recently come into his magical heritage, he acts as a catalyst which brings out the deeper magic in others.
- Have you written anything else?
I have written several short stories and a number of novels.
- What are your ambitions for your writing career?
To bring as many readers as possible pleasure when they read my writing. To make them feel like they have escaped into a magical world and left their troubles behind them at least for a little while.
- Which writers inspire you?
Stephen King. Anne Rice. James Herbert. Storm Constantine. David Baldacci. Tolkien. Robin Hobb.
- When did you decide to become a writer? Why do you write?
I was about six or seven and used to create my own worlds where dragons, faeries and selkies lived. I write because to tell a tale which will be remembered and bring peace of happiness to people is my passion.
- Do you have a special time or place to write?
I write in the kitchen with lots of coffee and cigarettes. The time varies because life takes place.
- Where do you get your inspiration?
From watching people in real life, their conversations and actions and I always wonder how they would act in a fantasy or horror setting. Also ancient folk tales are a wealth of inspiration to me.
- Do you work on an outline or do you prefer to see where the idea takes you?
I used to let the idea take me but with experience I now like to write an outline first.
- Do you ever get writer’s block?
I don’t get it very often and I think the reason for this is, if I get stuck, there is always another project I can work on until I feel the time is right to go back to the original.
- What is the hardest thing for you about writing?
When the novel or the story comes to an end, the emptiness after is almost like grief.
- How do you market your books? Why did you choose this route?
I plan to self publish. I have tried the more traditional route of approaching agents and publishing houses but I found the more I read about self publishing the more it appealed to me. I love the idea of marketing our own product. It’s also bout having control over your own writing.
- How much research do you do?
Research can vary according to what novel I am working on but I love to research and can be found scribbling away furiously in notebook after notebook.
- Do you write on a typewriter, computer, dictate or longhand?
I like to write longhand then type it up on my lap top.
- What are some of your favourite books/authors?
Storm Constantine – Stalking Tender Prey.
Stephen King – The Tommy Knockers.
Anne Rice – The Vampire Armand.
Marion Zimmer Bradley – The Mist of Avalon.
Raymond E. Fiest – Magician.
- Are you currently reading any books?
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.
The Finisher by David Baldacci. Crossing Bedlam by Charles E. Yallowitz.
- How can readers discover more about your work?
Blog – firefly465.wordpress.com
Twitter – twitter.com/Binky567
Pinterest – uk.pinterest.com/firefly_/
Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/firefly.fly.14