Please welcome Author Victoria Harrison!
- What genre are your books?
- What draws you to this genre?
I feel I have more freedom to create and to bend reality; I like the various manifestations of magic. I grew up reading Fantasy, it’s home to me.
- What project are you working on at the moment?
My current project is in the infant stages of creation, barely an idea and has no name.
- What’s it about?
A young man thrown from the only home he knew must decide to try to return to it, or change the course of everything.
- Give us an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is special?
He currently has no special abilities; he’s just in the wrong/right place at the wrong/right time.
- Have you written anything else?
Yes, but nothing published.
- What are your ambitions for your writing career?
I’d love to be a full time writer, but I’ll settle for just having fun.
- Which writers inspire you?
All of them.
- When did you decide to become a writer? Why do you write?
I started writing when I was twelve, as an escape tactic to bury myself in another world. I write now because of the joy of creating new things.
- Do you have a special time or place to write?
I prefer libraries, or writing in the middle of the night when the rest of the house is sound asleep and my cat isn’t trying to convince me to ignore his diet.
- Where do you get your inspiration?
From pictures and music mostly, or things I see and hear around me.
- Do you work on an outline or do you prefer to see where the idea takes you?
I usually let the idea take me where it wants to go. Recently I’ve discovered I prefer having some sort of an outline; however barebones it may be. Even with an outline, I’m willing to let the story go where it wants.
- Do you ever get writer’s block? How do you overcome it?
Yes. I perform research to try to get my mind thinking another way, switch to another project/scene, or take a break.
- What is the hardest thing for you about writing?
Finding environments where I can focus for any length of time. None of the doors to the rooms in my apartment close properly, and my cat has figured out how to mess up my laptop keyboard to the point it requires a reboot, and I have yet to figure out how.
- How much research do you do?
Too much, I use research to procrastinate, and end up on topics that have nothing to do with the projects I’m working on
- Do you write on a typewriter, computer, dictate or longhand?
Computer and longhand. I often longhand then retype onto my laptop
- What are some of your favorite books/authors?
Terry Brooks, David Eddings, Nicole Conway, RA Salvatore, JK Rowling, Anne McCaffrey, to name a few.
- Are you currently reading any books?
Yes, too many.