- Introduce yourself! What experience do you have with writing?
My name is Nicole Highland and I’m an author from Fort Wayne, Indiana in the United States. I work full time as a graphic designer, and enjoy writing as a hobby. My first book, Sweetest Release will be released August 24. I started writing in my early teens; I mostly wrote poetry, but also wrote some fanfiction stories as well.
- What is your favorite childhood book?
I don’t think I could narrow it down to just one single book, but when I was a kid, I loved anything Dr. Seuss!
- What does literary success look like to you?
To me, literary success the ability to create a story that readers can easily relate to and enjoy.
- How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?
Right now, I have 3-4 story ideas I haven’t started on yet, and one that I’ve started.
- What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters from the opposite sex?
Much like in real life, it’s all about figuring out what makes them tick!
- Have you read anything that made you think differently about fiction?
I can’t say I have. I’ve always enjoyed fiction, and I don’t think that will ever change.
- Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?
Since Sweetest Release is not out yet, it’s too early to say how I will handle it, but it’s received some nice early feedback from my ARCs, and I’m feeling pretty good! At the end of the day, I try to keep in mind that not everyone is going to like my work. Even New York Times bestselling authors can get some pretty hellacious reviews sometimes, so I know I certainly won’t be immune to criticism either. Some criticism can also be a beneficial tool for me going forward with my writing.
- What was your hardest scene to write?
By far, the fight scenes were the hardest for me to write in Sweetest Release, since I’ve never been in a physical fight before!
- Does your family support your career as a writer?
Without a doubt, they have been very supportive of me, and I’ve been thankful for that.
- Where can readers learn more about you?